Sam and Liz

Sam and Liz
Sam: 2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 ADV Liz: 2013 Kawasaki KLR 650

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Day 4


Addie The Great on the job

This morning still in St Louis. Addie takes over her Papa's office. 

Always good to see my Brother-in-law Hosseine. I'll be back in three weeks.



Late start today waiting for Liz's new tire to get mounted. Good weather, clear, sunny temps high 80s to low 90s.  Mr. Grey doesn't seem to mind the heat. Me, not so good! We don't get heat like this to ride in the North East.

The cooling vest works well keeping my temp down while still wearing protective gear. Soaked with water along with the bandanna under my riding jacket. Warm air blows in through the vents then is cooled by the water. Works very good!

Mr. Grey seems to be running well. Interstate speed is posted at 70mph meaning we are pushing 80mph plus most of the time. MPG is taking a hit. Down from 48 to around 38.

Liz's mighty KLR is surprisingly doing well at high speeds. Her engine mod (685 kit) must have paid off.

Biggest concern at this point seems to be retreads blowing off the big trucks. We dodged several today and one close call.  Liz was in lead, we were both in the passing lane, going by two pickup trucks. Ahead of the trucks was a fresh retread mostly in one peace. Seemed about the size of a normal big truck sized tire. I spotted the retread ahead of the pickups in their lane. I backed off the throttle anticipating one of the may hit it.  The first truck gently swerved toward the right shoulder of the road to get around the retread, however the second pickup did not see the retread until the first swerved around it. The second pickup was obviously a NASCAR fan / wannabe NASCAR driver. His truck was decked out with ground effects, rally wheels, and heavily tinted windows with the appropriate NASCAR decals.  I can say, he earned the right to sport the gear!  He avoided hitting the retread by first locking up his tires, smoking them. Followed by screaming smoking rubber, sliding to the right then left. Releasing the brake, straightening the truck, all while avoiding the tire or entering my lane.  Since I had intentionally backed off my throttle I got a most excellent front row view.

As I rolled back up on the throttle I passed him and gave him a huge thumbs up!  Great job pal!!



We passed this sign today on I-44 in Oklahoma.  Instantly I here the the chirp of the communicator. Before Liz could get the words out I informed her "I have no idea!" My thought is, what are my options at 80 MPH?

We looked it up:
The state and highway maintenance department often have control or prescribed burns or fires on or along the highways to help control and prevent wild fires. As the smoke blows across the highways visibility can be reduced to zero in seconds preventing you from seeing other vehicles on the road which may have stopped. Also, if the fire is not a control burn there may be Fire Trucks and Firefighters on the highway. So the reason the do not drive through smoke signs are posted is to protect you the driving public, and emergency response personnel.





No comments:

Post a Comment